Saturday, September 5, 2015

Air Capital Quarter Marathon........

was ran today. Just like many things in life, I go into every race with a goal in mind. When I ran my first ever 5K back in 2013, my goal was under 30 minutes (it didn't happen and still hasn't happened in an official race). Today's race was 6.55 miles, or a quarter marathon. My goal today was 1 hour and 5 minutes. My thinking was simple: If I can do this for a quarter, I hope I can carry this time to the Prairie Fire Half Marathon in a few weeks.

I woke up feeling good, just a little sleepy. Made the 45 minute drive over to race. Ran into many friends before the race, some I haven't seen in a year or so.

Me and Tegan
Race started and like always, I start in the back. I think I need to re-think this strategy. I had to pass too many people, many I had to jump up on the grass to safely pass. The legs felt great for much of the race. I think way too much when running. In my head I know how far I have ran and how much I have left. I wish I could just float away to a happy spot when running. But that doesn't happen and when I get to the final miles of a run, I feel I let my head tell me I am tired, when I am probably still good to go.

As I made it back to 13th Street for the final stretch, I tried to push myself. It wasn't until I was about a quarter-mile from the finish line did my legs really kick in. For the last half mile of the race, I was on pace for a 9:14 mile, pretty good for me. As I crossed the finish line all I wanted was water.  I stopped my Garmin watch and saw the time: 1 hour 4 minutes and 36 seconds. Unofficially I had meet my goal. I just had to wait for the official time to be posted. Now give me that water! Water had never tasted so good. 

I am 5th down

Officially I was 2 seconds faster than my watch. I was happy with my time. I wasn't happy with my splits. I wanted to make each mile faster than the previous mile. That didn't happen today. That is something I will work on in the next few weeks. 

Ran into more friends after the race. I stayed for over an hour after I was done to talk with everyone. Always great to see the friendly faces. Everyone did great. A few of the Local Joe's won/placed in their age groups. All of us that started the race finished the race, which is always good. 

Karolina, Jeanie, Me, Kevin, Gray, and Tony

Big thank you to Fleet Feet/Go Run for putting on the race. Thank you to all the volunteers who help to keep us on the right path, give us water, or just cheer us on (I need more cowbell!!!!). A huge thank you to the Wichita Police Department for stopping traffic and keep us safe today and everyday.

Just 35 more days until Oct 11 and the Prairie Fire Half Marathon!



No comments:

Post a Comment